Monday, September 29, 2008

Paul Newman's Exodus

Sadly, this past Friday night America lost film legend and philanthropist Paul Newman. I know a lot of people, particularly in my age group, remember Newman from his movie The Color of Money. I have to say that I've never seen a film in which Newman appeared that I thought his performance was not perfect. But my favorite movie which is forever burned into my memory is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. He absolutely sizzled as the brooding Brick Pollitt. I believe he brought a depth to the characters he portrayed which is not often seen in Hollywood today.

I think what I like the most about Newman is that he was such a regular guy. Several years ago, while my husband was employed as a hotel bellman, he got the chance to meet Newman. Apparently, Newman was very pleased when my husband directed him to Wild Wing Cafe for dinner that night. Nothing fancy, just a guy who was hungry and wanted some good wings. My husband said he was so nice! In my former career, I had a lot of experiences dealing with celebrities and it's always a pleasure when they're nice to the "little people."

Newman's film work lives on and I hope his charities will continue to thrive. We'll miss you, Paul!

No comments: