Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spongbob Squarepants + Sir Mix-A-Lot=Burger King Kid's Meal



I really don't know whether this commercial is supposed to make me laugh or creep me out. When I first saw it, I assumed Burger King must be targeting this ad to people of my age who have kids, otherwise I'm not sure who else would understand the pop culture reference.

The whole thing is bizarre to me. I like one hit wonder, Sir Mix-A-Lot, I like Spongebob Squarepants and Burger King is alright too. I just don't know if they all belong together, especially when it's about a deal on a kid's meal. But I don't have kids so what do I know?

The Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood wants BK to pull the ad ASAP. I'm sure they're concerned that this commercial is a bit too sexually explicit for the kiddies. BK remains on the defensive.

Maybe a compromise is in order? Perhaps BK should air the commercial after a certain time at night and only during adult shows. I think it's fine for the grown-ups but might be a bit much for the wee ones.

No comments: