Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cinema+Bar=Less Kids!

My husband and I are on the way to see Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull tonight. I checked Fandango for movie times and noticed a new theater in our area. It's called Cinebarre and it's opening in the theater that once belonged to our beloved Movies at Mt. Pleasant. According to the article from The City Paper it's due to open in July. The theater will feature restaurant quality appetizers, meals and snacks as well as a full bar. Mt. P. is the 2nd location in the US to get this style of theater; apparently all the cool cities are getting them. The best news about this theater is that no children under 6 are allowed and kids 6-17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Now I have nothing against kids but I've had numerous movie experiences spoiled by kids running around and screaming in a theater. No, I don't go see all G-rated movies either, if that's what you're thinking. I'm talking about PG-13 + movies that parents seem to think is perfectly acceptable to have their infants/toddlers/ankle biters etc. in tow. Nothing ruins a dramatic movie moment for me like a kid whining "I have to go to the bathroom!" just as the most important line is delivered. I've also turned every shade of red when I've been in the same row as an 8 year old while some very adult content is flashing on the screen. I always want to lean over and cover their eyes but from what I can tell from my peripheral vision, the kid is usually playing with some toy while their parents munch popcorn happily. But I digress. The point here is that I'm very excited about this new theater opening and hope it will be a success. For now though, it's Indy time!!

No comments: