Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Beyonce's Split Personality

So I'm sure many of you peeps are aware that Beyonce is coming out with a new album that drops today. What you may not know is that the title, I Am...Sasha Fierce is derived from Beyonce's self-proclaimed diva on-stage personality. I remember reading an article about Beyonce's other personality a few years prior to her marriage to Jay-Z.

I suppose having an alter ego helps keep things real? You let the alter-ego take over when you're on stage and get to be super dramatic and then return to your normal self when the lights go down? I think that's what Beyonce's trying to say.

"The new record is a double album and has two covers, like a magazine would have two covers," Beyoncé revealed. "One of the covers is named I AM... and the second cover is named SASHA FIERCE. That is my alter ego and now she has a last name. I have someone else that takes over when it's time for me to work and when I'm on stage, this alter ego that I've created that kind of protects me and who I really am. That's why half the record, I AM... is about who I am underneath all the makeup, underneath the lights, and underneath all the exciting star drama. And SASHA FIERCE is the fun, more sensual, more aggressive, more outspoken side and more glamorous side that comes out when I'm working and when I'm on the stage. The double album allows me to take more risks and really step out of myself, or shall I say, step more into myself, and reveal a side of me that people only know me see." Source

Didn't Garth Brooks try this other personality thing a few years ago? Wait, maybe this is different because Beyonce's personality Sasha Fierce still sings the same songs as Beyonce does and the style hasn't changed at all? Did she consult with Garth before putting this album out? Did she get tip like, "Beyonce, whatever you do, don't change you're hairstyle and your actual music persona because the fans don't take too kindly to it."

Seriously peeps, do you remember that Garth incident? I was never a big Garth fan; country's just not my thing. But I could appreciate the fan base and the fact that Garth was an amazing performer and song writer. Then he decided to go kinda crazy. He took a risk and it just didn't work out.

I'm sure Beyonce/Sasha will have better luck.

No comments: